Before I started my personal style blog and became really interested in my fashion selections, I had no clue how to build a wardrobe. I would just randomly purchase items that I liked and my closet was not cohesive at all. Nowadays, I have learned that I need to fill my closet with more staples (items that I can wear often and will never go out of style), and keep trendy items at a minimum! The idea for this topic came to me from the following question that I received on Facebook:
Can you please help me get started and give me some ideas on staples that I need for my closet?
Yes, I can! This is something that I am always reflecting about. I am always asking myself what wardrobe staples are missing from my closet and what can I do to update the items that I already have. If you want to be fashionable you have to be in tune with what is in your closet already and determine what items need to be added. Let's get right into the first installment of my new series How To Build Your Wardrobe.
1) I have said this before, but every girl needs a great fitting pair of jeans! You can put together so many looks with denim! Depending on the occasion, jeans can take you from a casual day out shopping to a night out on the town. I love to pair my skinny jeans with oversized tops and blazers. A terrific pair of jeans is really priceless. If you have trouble finding jeans, check out my previous post HERE on how to select a great pair of jeans.
2) I really don't know what I would do without my black blazer! A black blazer is truly a life-saver. It matches up well with everything and adds an instant chicness to your look. When in doubt, wear your black blazer because it will look amazing with your jeans, trousers, skirts...and practically everything else that you have in your closet.
3) Ladies, I know that we all love heels, but I am a realist and heels are just not practical for every occasion. You need a really cute pair of flats that you can wear anytime because if we have to wear flats they should be cute! Right now, I have a bit of an obsession with pointy toe flats, and I wear the ones that I purchased from Zara all of the time!
4) We all need that one dress that will work for every occasion such as church, dinner, and special events. That dress would be your little black dress. There are so many styles of black dresses to choose from, but find one that fits your body type perfectly. Every fashion enthusiast understands the importance of having one of these dresses in your closet because you can never go wrong with a dress like this, no matter what event your attending.
5-6) Every grown woman needs a white button-down shirt and a pencil skirt as a part of their wardrobe. These are classic wardrobe pieces that are are always appropriate and will never go out of style. I love a crisp white shirt with jeans, trousers, and cute skirts. It is the type of item that just makes you look classy and fab instantly.
7) A leather or good quality leatherette jacket can really take your looks to another level. There are so many styles and colors to choose from that can really really add some fun to your wardrobe and give your outfits and edge. You can find a number of lightweight leather jackets in stores that will be perfect to wear on those cool spring days, without being too heavy. Basically, you need to add a leather jacket to your closet if you are trying to build a stylish wardrobe.
Thanks so much for joining me for part 1 of How To Build Your Wardrobe! I will be back with part 2 at a later date. What are some of your closet staples?
Let's Connect: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube